Featured Post

Back to School Night- The "Flipped" Presentation

Welcome

Welcome
Take a peak into our classroom!

Saturday, August 27, 2016

The Pickett Fence August 28

Whew! What a week! The First week of school went great! We had many opportunities to get to know each other, work together and develop our classroom expectations. Also, a big thanks to parents who came out on Thursday night to our “Back to School Night”! I am so excited to get the year rolling and enjoy learning with your fifth graders. You will typically get "The Pickett Fence" Newsletters on a bi-weekly basis. This will be a great place for you to go to see upcoming dates and information that will be important throughout the weeks. Should we have information pop up between newsletters, I will be sure to shoot out emails as necessary. You can also pop over to our blog for these newsletters as well. In the efforts to save paper, I plan on emailing these newsletters out. Should you prefer paper copies of any documentation, please let me know in advance, and I would be happy to send those home as needed. Back to School Night Please take some time over the next few days to dig into your red back to school night folder! This will be a great place to access information about fifth grade throughout the year. I would also like to invite you to watch the Flipped version of the Back to School Night presentation on our blog. This will be especially helpful if you couldn't make it out on Thursday. For those of you who made it out... fast forward about 15 minutes and you should get to where I left off! :) I know I shared a lot of new information with you all at Back to School night, so, as you finished looking through your folder and/or watching the videos I shared, please feel free to contact me with any questions in regards to this information. I would be happy to clarify anything further or set up a conference if you would like to discuss any concerns. Email Contact I am still working on updating my email group for this year and hope to have the addresses you provided at supply drop off entered this week. If you haven't already notified me that you are receiving my emails, I would appreciate a quick response so that I can be sure I have the correct address. I am also happy to add other addresses as needed. Parent Signature Pages At the front of your Back to School Night folders, you received several pages to send back into school. If you could please send those back to school at your earliest convenience, I would greatly appreciate it!! The Pickett Fence Blog Our Classroom website, linked below is a great "go-to" place for you to access classroom information. It is there where you will be able to find our newsletters, homework assignments, as well as links to other important documents! While you are there, feel free to check our our classroom wish list too! In a Million Words, Parent Assignment- due 9/2 If you haven’t gotten a chance to complete your parent assignment, I would appreciate you taking a few moments of your time to help me know your child better! I have linked the assignment below for anyone who has forgotten. Homework Policy I did not get a chance to discuss our homework policies at Cure this year at Back to School Night. Beginning this week, students who do not return to school with their homework completed, the day the assignment is due, will be required to stay after school for homework help to complete the assignment. Homework help is an after school program from 3:50-4:15 for students who need extra homework help. Should your child not complete their homework, you will be contacted by me via phone or email during the day to let you know your child is staying after school. This recent change in homework policy is a building wide policy that was developed in parallel with our VBS plan that was discussed at back to school night. WSQ and Video This week in class we will be completing our first flipped video with an example for you to see at home. Then, coming home will be your child’s first homework assignment for video watching. I will link the video to The Pickett Fence website, and also send you a separate email with the link. Please contact me should this be a problem. Requested Items: Hopefully some of you have begun following our classroom on our social media sites (linked below) and have seen some of the fun we having been having as we are rolling out our Maker Space and working on team collaboration! This week we are having some additional Maker Space Challenges and we are in need of some supplies. If you are interested in donating supplies, could you either send them in by Wednesday or email me to let me know that they will come in on Thursday, I would appreciate it. I plan to go and gather supplies on Wednesday evening! Items needed: - FIVE of masking tape - Straws, Straws, Straws! (as many as you are willing to donate! - paper towel and toilet paper rolls - cardboard Jenga Do you have Jenga at home? Are you willing to let us borrow it for a few days? The fifth grade teachers are looking for 5-6 Jenga games for an activity we would like to complete in class this week. We will return them after we are finished!! :) Specials Schedule: Monday _ PE/Music Tuesday – Library and Art Wednesday – Computer Mass 8:15 Thursday –Spanish Friday – PE/Music

No comments:

Post a Comment